Wednesday 8 February 2012

This time back home: photographic account of trip to Pakistan

Every year around Christmas, I go home. Here is a glimpse of what I came across this time around.


Starting my trip at Changi Airport, Singapore. I'm there early and its prayer time so I inquire my way to the prayer room. Just next to the ablution area is a board that reads 'Passengers of any religion may use this room for prayer and meditation. Please remove your shoes before entering the prayer and wash area. Please observe silence while in the prayer room'. Apologies for the bad image quality!
 And we are in Islamabad, the beautiful, as the Capital Development Authority calls it.

Spent a lot of time on the road, just to say hi to almost everybody I knew. Fuel availability was a BIG problem for people (besides of course all the other problems such as power outages etc. Pakistan Khappey!). The 'No Naked Lights' part of this sign at a gas station made me LOL which now for some reason doesn't sound very funny though.
On my visit to Faisalabad I am welcomed by a transport strike and road blockages for protest against fuel related crisis.
And then there is this guy who just relieved himself beside the Chenab Club. I wasn't prepared for this (how could anyone be prepared to take such a snap) so couldn't capture the exact moment :P
Okay, so I am at my village and the next morning when I wake up, my car (covered in a plethora of dust, villages are dusty places) that has been parked outside since last night has been serving as somebody's scribbling pad. It says a number of things including 'karaye ke liye khali he' which translates into 'Available for rent' and 'ki Muhammad se wafa tu ne to hum tere hein...'

And then the nightmare experience of passport renewal. I cannot even begin to describe the horror I witnessed there. Abundant corruption is perhaps the first thought that comes to mind. I was so busy going through the process that I could only photograph the business card of a 'senior passport advisor'. Maybe will give a full account of the horrible experience  in a separate post later, of course only if someone wants to hear about it.

Back in Islamabad, this is whats happening. Construction workers transport pipes to a higher floor of an under construction building brilliantly.
And this relatively newly constructed road has power transmission towers right in the middle of the road.
And how could I not share this Urdu Punjabi advertisement painted on a wall.


No comments:

Post a Comment